- Tuesday, 08 February 2011
- Exposing your child on a regular basis to music is the beginning stages of teaching the math concept of patterning. We encourage you to sing and listen to music with your child every day.
- All songs and music have rhythm, beat and patterns in them.
- As you sing or listen to music, clap the pattern/beat or rock them to the rhythm.
- Have instruments available and make up your own patterns on the instruments.
- As your child gets older, they can repeat your pattern on an instrument.
- Dance while you hold your infant so they can feel how you move to the rhythm and beat..
- Share a variety of music styles with your children.
- Include songs you enjoy but also have your child listen to traditional children's songs. They will hear patterning in the words and music.
- Even if you don't play an instrument, try playing the pots and pans!