Birds need to eat and kids love to watch birds. What better way to combine the two than by making a bird feeder to hang in your yard.
- Peanut butter or lard
- Plastic knife
- Mix the peanut butter or lard with some oats to make a gritty consistency.
- Tie a piece of yarn around the top of the pinecone for hanging.
- Use the knife to put the mixture onto the pinecone. We actually like to use our hands instead, but make sure your pinecone doesn't have sharp spikes.
- Put the birdseed on a plate and roll the pinecone in the birdseed to cover the sticky mixture.
- Hang the bird feeder in a tree near the window.
- Peanut butter is okay to use on this project according to bird experts
- Have some kid binoculars available for your child to watch the birds.
- Print out some pictures of birds native to your area to help identify the birds that visit your feeder.