Rest Stop Necessities
- Friday, 06 May 2011
- Car Travel
- We've logged thousands of miles on road trips with kids and have had lots of success. Here's a trick we use to keep the kids excited about rest stops along the way.
- Purchase a plastic three drawer storage unit. If this won't fit in your car, you may want to try storage boxes./li>
- Label each drawer with the following: Snacks, Rest Stop Toys, Games.
- Fill the snack drawer with healthy, non-perishable snacks: cheese and crackers, granola bars, fruit cups, popcorn.
- Fill the Rest Stop Toys drawer with active games your kids can play: Frisbee, jump rope, small ball, mitts, bubbles, chalk.
- Fill the Games drawer with activities and small toys your kids can exchange out for what they have already been playing with in the car. They can choose the games to put in the box or you can add a few new ones as surprises.
- When we stop for gas, we take our popcorn into the store and use the microwave. This also works for warming up baby/toddler food.