How to Introduce Art to Infants
- Monday, 21 February 2011
- Younger Infants, ages 0-5 months
- Introduce your child to art all around them. Children at this age enjoy touching and looking at art and will not be able to create art at this time.
- Hold book illustrations close enough that they can see them.
- Rub different textures on their hand and talk about how they feel.
- Show them pictures simple pictures that show high contrast.
- Older Infants, ages 5-18 months
- When your child is able to sit up is a great time to start enjoying the process of art.
- Know your child's abilities and remember it's all about exploring, not the end product.
- Cover the floor with a drop cloth and place the high chair on top of the cloth.
- Take off everything except their diaper. It's easier to clean your baby when they are done.
- Place your baby in their high chair with the tray attached.
- Begin with a simple art activity.
- Keep the activity short; about 5-10 minutes. This will allow your child time to enjoy the activity without getting frustrated or bored.