Eric Carle uses a simple painting and collage technique for his famous books including The Very Hungry Caterpillar. Your kids can create art in the same style right at home.
- Several 9" x 12" pieces of light colored construction paper
- Paint brushes or rollers
- Paper plates
Place one or multiple colors of paint on the paper plates. Using multiple colors on one plate can create new colors and add designs on the paper.
Paint the entire paper with a paint brush or roller.
- Use found items or fingers to run through the paint while it is wet creating texture.
Set aside to dry and repeat the technique on several different papers with different paint colors and texturing.
- Place paper on a rimmed cookie sheet before painting.
- Find a variety of items around the house to make designs in the paint. (Combs, cardboard, etc.)
- Read some of Eric Carle's books.