- Monday, 23 January 2012
- Creating Routines
- Getting your child to sleep on time will give you quality time in the evening and you will have a happier child the next day.
- Create a bedtime ritual. It should be relaxing and something your child looks forward to.
- Create a routine card with words or pictures so your child knows what to expect next.
- Start your bedtime routine early so you won't have to rush through the ritual.
- Be consistent with the routine.
- All adults should take part in the routine sticking with the same task each night. Mom gives bath, Dad reads books for example.
- Create an atmosphere that implies that it is time to wind down.
- Set boundaries and stick to them. If you say you will read one book, then it's one book.
- Make sure their bedroom feels safe and calm in case they wake in the middle of the night.