- Monday, 04 April 2011
- Around the House
Empty everything from the room except the washer and dryer. This would be a great time to clean round and behind the washer and dryer.
If you don't have storage space in the laundry room already, now would be a good time to add shelving, cabinets or moveable storage systems. Consider how best to use your wall space. If you have storage space, we'll give you some tips on how to use it.
If your laundry room is small, consider products that collapse or roll to make space in the laundry room while you are working.
- Every laundry room needs a place to hang items and there are a multitude of options.
- Your home building store has various hanging options such as installing a closet hanging rod, ClosetMaid shelves with hanging options and many more.
- Target offers some excellent hanging options on roll-a-way carts. We especially like the "Laundry Center". It includes a triple laundry sorter, hanging area and shelf on a roll-a-way.
- If you install hanging rods, be sure it is installed high enough so you won't hit your head.
- You have several options for cabinetry and it doesn't have to be expensive. There are also options if you don't have a large laundry room.
- Your home building store has a multitude of options for cabinets. Ask if they have some slightly damaged pieces for a discounted price.
- Use a bookshelf. These can be purchased at Wal Mart for a nominal price and work well in small rooms because they aren't very deep. One or two of these would give you a lot of storage space.
- Rolling carts are another option. They can be moved out of the laundry room when you are working in there. Don't forget about the carts that fit between the washer and dryer.
- Make sure to use the wall space above next to your washer and dryer. This is the perfect place to install shelving.
- Your home building store has a variety of shelving systems to meet every budget. Their staff can help you select items and plan your space for no charge if you bring the dimensions of your laundry room.
- Get creative with shelving. IKEA has a "Perfekt" shelf that can be turned side ways and hung on the wall. The top will give you plenty of room to place cleaning supplies and you can place baskets in the adjustable compartments to hold, clothespins, loose buttons and more.
- Online stores also offer shelves that attach to your washer and unique laundry room shelving.
One last tip. If your laundry and cleaning products are stored where your children can reach them but you can't secure them with locks, change the door handle to one that locks.